There's a new ADAAG, the technical standard for the ADA. However, it is not yet enforceable as law until it is adopted by the U.S. Department of justice and other applicable agencies. The revision aims to accomplish many things at once:
- Reorganize the document more clearly into scoping and technical standards, with numbering nearly matching the 1998 ANSI A117.1 technical document adopted by most building codes.
- Add technical standards for specialty building types such as Self -Storage buildings.
- Integrate the ADA and ABA (for public sector) into one document.
- Clarify many technical standards with better language, and provide information previously only in diagrams into written details.
- Some revised standards - some minor - other sections completely rewritten, such as Communications Systems.
Are you up to date on these standards? Endelman & Associates PLLC is.